The popularity of starch alternatives are on the rise. Not only are they perfect for those looking to follow a gluten-free and vegan diet, but they’re also great for those seeking to increase their protein intake. So, if you’re looking for a protein-packed and fiber-filled pasta alternative, learn how to make black bean pasta at home! Black bean noodles are just as tasty as traditional wheat noodles—but with triple the nutrient impact!
Tantillo Foods offers authentic, Italian-style ingredients necessary to put together fantastic meals. Whether you’d like to enhance your dish with fresh olive oils, flavorful pasta sauces, or our artisanal pastas, we have it all. Shop Now
Black Bean Noodle Recipe
Makes 5-6 portions
- 4 cups gluten-free flour
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed, and pureed
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
- In a large bowl, stir together gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, and salt until combined.
- On a clean kitchen surface or cutting board, mound the flour and make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and black bean puree until blended.
- Pour the mixture into the well.
- Using a fork, begin whisking the flour and black bean egg mixture together, working your way around the edge of your flour mound. Once the mixture starts coming together, begin incorporating the remaining flour using your hands.
- The resulting dough should be firm and slightly sticky, but not crumbly. If it’s crumbly, add in water one tablespoon at a time until the dough holds together.
- Quarter the dough, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for one hour before shaping into noodles.
- Shape or cut your noodles using a pasta machine or by hand. See our article on How to Make Homemade Pasta for additional noodle-shaping resources.
Health Benefits of Black Beans
Black beans extremely affordable, and they’re also a great source of fiber and protein! The FDA recommends three cups of beans and legumes per week. By adding in just 1/2 cup per day, you can stay healthier and more fiber-conscious.
Let’s Talk Fiber
Fiber is a major requirement for our daily food consumption, and black beans are loaded with it! The FDA recommends a daily intake of 25-35 grams of fiber. In one cup of black beans, you’ll consume a whopping sixteen grams of fiber!
Black beans contain both insoluble and soluble fiber. We need both types in order to decrease our risk of chronic diseases like those that stem from high LDL cholesterol levels, poor gut health, and poor heart health.
Another benefit of black beans is that they act as both a vegetable and a protein. One cup of black beans provides fifteen grams of healthy, lean protein. This protein density boosts our metabolism and gives us the feeling of being full longer.
Beans and other legumes have more of a nutrient punch than the starchy flour options, making it a desired ingredient to swap in recipes. And, as we’ve seen, black beans are a big ticket item for those looking to better their health and improve their diet.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect black bean pasta at home!
Cooking your Black Bean Noodles
Black bean noodles cook a bit differently than traditional flour-based noodles. They require extra attention to keep them from breaking apart. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you’re cooking the noodles immediately, heat the water to just under boiling. A rapid boil may break up the noodles. Cook the fresh black bean pasta for 2-3 minutes or until tender, then drain and rinse.
- If you’re saving the noodles for later, you should air-dry them. After you’ve cut and shaped your noodles, drape them on a pasta rack and store in low-humidity overnight. You can keep them in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks. When ready for use, heat the water to just under boiling. Simmer the dried noodles for 4-5 minutes or until tender, then drain and rinse.
Want to create an eye-popping dish? Check out our guide on How to Plate Pasta for Perfection!
The Perfect Pasta Sauces for Your Black Bean Noodles
No pasta dish is complete without pasta sauce! Take a look at the many options you can experiment with available at Tantillo Foods:
Pomodoro Pasta Sauce
Pomodoro is a flavorful sauce that can be used for many dishes. To create this sauce, Fresh Parma tomatoes are seasoned with flaky sea salt and slowly simmered with basil, garlic, onions, and olive oil. Pasta Pomodoro is perfect for a quick-fix meal or as a side dish for those traditional Sunday suppers!
Arrabiata Pasta Sauce
This zesty, spicy Arrabiata sauce is the perfect companion to any side or seafood-forward pasta dish. A peppery combination of hot chilies and cracked black pepper round out the slow-simmered tomatoes, and it’s further seasoned with a touch of fresh basil, garlic, and flaky sea salt.
Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
Tomato basil is one of the most adaptable pasta sauces, as it truly pairs perfectly with everything! Give it a try with your freshly-made pasta.
Vodka Pasta Sauce
Rich, flavorful vodka sauce provides a creamy mouthfeel that’s perfect for a rustic noodle dish. If you’re looking to create a hearty meal, this is the sauce you should go with!
More From Tantillo Foods
Learning how to make black bean pasta from scratch is simple when you have the right tools and ingredients! Keep in mind that Tantillo Foods offers a full range of delicious food products that are sure to enhance all of your favorite Italian dishes. Enjoy our collection of high-quality cooking oils, imported pasta sauces and more!